Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Matzah Ball Egg Drop Soup

A few weeks ago, I had a nasty cold; all I wanted was some chicken soup (well, my mom's chicken matzah ball soup to be exact).  Since we don't live in the same city anymore, I had to improvise with my own soup.  I took a shortcut with the broth and decided to add egg whites in for protein since this soup was about all I was able to eat that week.  I got the idea to add the egg drops in from my friend's sister and I was not at all disappointed.

Matzah Ball Egg Drop Soup




to buy:
Chicken Consomme (powdered chicken broth)
Eggs
Matzah Ball Mix (in the kosher section)
Onion

To do:
Make Matzah Balls according to box (I promise this is easy!!) just remember that you need to refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes before dropping the balls into boiling water. I'd recommend doing this first. Boil this water and drop the matzah balls in-they take about 20 minutes to cook through. Use this time to make the egg drop soup.

Decide how many servings you want to make: 1 cup of water=1 serving of soup.

I usually make about 4 servings and eat the soup through the week, so we'll go with that for now.

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add 4 tsp of chicken consomme
Dice onion and add to water
Add the whites of 2-3 eggs to the soup and stir with a fork to form threads of egg white (I know I used a different method during the last egg drop soup, but this actually separates the white so it will cook in threads.
Let the soup boil until the egg whites are cooked through (they should be white) and the onions have softened.
Add matzah balls to soup.
Season to taste

No comments: